"The Dome over the Citadel" in Turkestan
In the autumn of 2023, VDS commissioned a UNESCO—scale project - the Dome over the Citadel in Turkestan.
The protective structure is necessary in order to preserve the remains of the historical adobe and mud walls of the citadel and the ancient fortress.
The VDS team faced several tasks at once: design development, design, production and installation of the facility. The beauty and simultaneous complexity of the project was the small number of points where the dome and huge spans can be supported. For the first time, the technology of tent tension was applied: the metal frame is covered with a roof made of vinyl material.
The installation was carried out over existing historical excavations with an area of 10,000 m2, which required careful engineering training. Only 14 months have passed since the signing of the contract to the implementation of the project!
The dome structure is made according
to the principle of PSPC – a cross-rod spatial structure, which made it possible to reduce the metal consumption of standard frame solutions by 2.5 times and give the structure the effect of lightness. The canopy cover of the dome is designed to withstand the effects of ultraviolet radiation, strong winds, natural precipitation,
temperature fluctuations and seismic loads.
Impressive facts about the project!
– 30 thousand elements, of which 20 thousand are unique
– Coverage area 11,900 m2
– Specialists from Belarus, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkey are involved
– Piles up to 16 meters have been applied due to the complexity of the soils
– Installation without temporary support points inside the dome
– Spatial structures have reduced the metal consumption of standard frame solutions by 2.5 times